UK participants must agree either to this Statement for Self-Certified Sophisticated Investors, or to the separate Statement for Certified High Net Worth Individuals. Agreement with this statement by checking the relevant box during registration of interest for a fund will be taken as equivalent to signing a paper document.
I declare that I am a self-certified sophisticated investor for the purposes of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) Order 2005.
I understand that this means:
- I can receive financial promotions that may not have been approved by a person authorised by the Financial Services Authority;
- the content of such financial promotions may not conform to rules issued by the Financial Services Authority;
- by signing this statement I may lose significant rights;
- I may have no right to complain to either of the following —
- the Financial Services Authority; or
- the Financial Ombudsman Scheme;
- I may have no right to seek compensation from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
I am a self-certified sophisticated investor because at least one of the following applies —
- I am a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least the last six months prior to the certificate issue date;
- I have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the two years prior to the certificate issue date;
- I am working or have worked in the two years prior to the certificate issue date, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in the provision of finance for small and medium enterprises;
- I am currently, or have been in the two years prior to the certificate issue date, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million.
I accept that I can lose my property and other assets from making investment decisions based on financial promotions.
I am aware that it is open to me to seek advice from someone who specialises in advising on investments (including unregulated investment schemes).
No warranty or representation, either expressed or implied, is given with respect to the accuracy, completeness, or suitability for purpose of any view or statement expressed on this site. This article was originally published by Dr Greg Mulhauser on .on and was last reviewed or updated by